Each year, older Ohioans’ diversity, values, insight, and experiences help to shape, build and benefit their communities. That’s why, nationally, Older Americans Month has been recognizing the contributions of this growing population for 56 years.
This year’s OAM theme, Connect, Create, Contribute, encourages older adults and their communities to:
- Connect with friends, family, and local services and resources.
- Create through activities that promote learning, health, and personal enrichment.
- Contribute time, talent, and life experience to benefit others.
Ohio will celebrate Older Americans Month by promoting ways that community members of all ages celebrate and help spread the falls prevention message by partnering with
- A local grocery or farmers’ market for an event that promotes older
adult nutrition and its relationship to falls prevention;
- Your local fire department for free safety inspections;
- Your local YMCA for special older adult exercise classes and events; or
- A local park, conservatory or botanical garden for special hikes,
gardening classes or an event that encourages older adults to connect
Communities that support and recognize older adults are stronger! Join us in strengthening our community – this May and throughout the year. Visit the Older Americans Month website for more ideas and inspiration for events you can sponsor to spread the word about falls prevention.
We want to see images that show how you and your older loved ones and neighbors continue to connect, create, and contribute in your communities. Snap a selfie or have someone take your picture then post your image to social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) using the hashtags #OAM19 and #OhioSeniorsRock. We'll look for posts with these hashtags and share them on our social media, so post early, post often!